How not to spoil a dog? 7 simple tips!
Ekaterina Kastritskaya, psychologist, specialist in animal therapy, consultant on animal behavior and well-being
Before talking about how not to pamper the dog, it is worth deciding on the terminology. Most often called "spoiled" dogs that behave "badly" (according to the owners and others): they beg, do not listen to walks and at home, are unclean, are picky in food, bark passers-by ...
But the problem is that dogs exhibit such behavior, in whose life there is a lot of chaos and little predictability. Moreover, owners often use rather harsh methods when the dog "brings them". However, they are used incorrectly, as a result, the dog’s behavior only worsens, and a vicious circle is obtained ... Is this the fault of the dog? No. Is there anything you can do to not spoil a dog? Can!
How to raise a dog so as not to spoil it?
There are rules, observing which, you have a chance to avoid behavioral problems, that is, do not spoil the dog. These rules are not so complicated, but require discipline - and first of all from the owner.
- Do not neglect socialization puppy. This will help to train the dog to adequately respond to different, including complex, situations. Here we recall a German shepherd from our walking area. She was taken "for protection", and the owners were advised not to introduce the puppy to anyone under six months old and not to leave the yard. Needless to say, the dog grew up cowardly-aggressive? Yes, she throws herself at everyone, with her tail tucked up: at people and at dogs, but at the same time, as you might guess, it is completely unsuitable for real guard and defense.
- Check the health of the dog and do not forget about preventive measures. Often, behavioral problems (including such as dishonesty, poor appetite, and aggression) are a consequence health problems.
- Provide five freedoms dogs. We have already written a lot about this, so there is no point in repeating ourselves. Let me remind you of a simple truth: a dog that lives in abnormal conditions cannot behave normally.
- Enter a friendly dog regulations. Permissiveness makes a dog nervous and irritable, because her life at the same time turns into chaos and a nightmare. No, this has nothing to do with the so-called "dominance." It does not matter who first eats or goes through the door and whether the dog is lying on your bed - the main thing is that what is allowed is always allowed, and what is forbidden is always prohibited. With no exceptions. Dogs value predictability.
- Train the dog to the correct behavior. Chasing cats or barking is normal species-typical behavior, that is, when doing this, the dog behaves like a dog. The question is that such behavior is not always acceptable, especially in a city. And your task is to explain to the dog what rules can and should be lived. Most of the problems in dog behavior are related to the behavior of the owners: they either did not explain to the dog how to behave, it is clear enough, or they unintentionally reinforce problem behavior (for example, they begin to kindly persuade them not to bark at passers-by).
- Teaching a dog, choose humane methods. They are as (and for many dogs more) effective as a mechanical or contrast method, but their main advantage is that contact with the owner is strengthened, and the dog is not driven into distress.And distress (“bad stress”) is one of the causes of not only physiological, but also psychological problems.
- Set mode feeding. If the food in the dog’s bowl is constantly lying, it ceases to be a significant resource, and the pet begins to be extremely picky. The same thing happens if the dog overeats. As a result, the owners puzzle over how to feed a pet. Universal rule: if the dog has not eaten breakfast or dinner, after 15 minutes the bowl is removed. Of course, water should be in constant access.
Remember that a “spoiled” dog is not a “bad” dog, which strives to act "in spite". Most often this is a dog that lives in inappropriate conditions or which has not been taught to behave correctly. So, to correct the situation is completely up to you! The main thing is desire and consistency.