How to start training a puppy? Read all about puppy training on wikipet!
You fulfilled an old dream and made a four-legged friend. The first euphoria subsided, and the question immediately arose: how to start training a puppy so that it is not only funny and funny, but also obedient? There are many tips, but it is so difficult for inexperienced owners to choose the reasonable ones and do everything right!
How to start training a puppy correctly?
The answer to the question "how to start training a puppy correctly»Includes several important rules:
- You need to start training your puppy exclusively in the game. After all, it is in the game that the cubs learn the world around them and learn to interact with it. Violence and boredom in training a puppy are unacceptable!
- Classes should be short but frequent. It is necessary to practice with the puppy several times a day for 3-5 minutes (or even less at first). It is important to finish the lesson when the puppy is still full of energy and enthusiasm, and not when he has already lost all interest. The duration of classes increases gradually.
- Do not repeat the same thing 10 times. Change tasks, otherwise the puppy will quickly get tired and bored.
- Do not skimp on praise and use the promotion that the puppy likes. Most often, a treat is a treat and / or a toy. Celebrate every success, even if it’s very tiny!
- It is important to learn to praise the dog in time - only in this way you can explain what exactly is required of the baby.
- Do not demand from the puppy all at once. Puppy training is based on the principle of "from simple to complex."
- The task is divided into small steps that will be clear to the baby.
- Start learning the skill in a calm, familiar place for the puppy without irritants. The difficulty of the task increases gradually.
- Remember that puppies do not generalize well. So, when the skill is learned, engage with the baby in different places to teach you how to execute the command anywhere.
What methods to start training a puppy?
To start training a puppy correctly means to choose the right training method. To date, 2 methods are used that are harmless to the physical and psychological well-being of puppies:
- Operant. You watch the puppy, and as soon as he has done what you need, praise him and treat him. Gradually, the puppy will understand what kind of behavior you are “buying”.
- Gustatory (guidance), when you use a treat to guide the puppy to the desired action. For example, to teach the Sit command, start a piece up and back above the baby’s head so that he lifts his head and automatically lowers the back to the floor.
If you manage to start training the puppy correctly, you will get a great friend, pleasant in communication, safe, convenient and always ready to cooperate. If you have any difficulties or are not sure that you can start training the puppy correctly, our puppy marathon “Obedient puppy without hassle” will help you.