Puppy Care: A Beginner's Guide
Newborn Puppy Care It takes time, certain knowledge and skills. It is necessary to prepare for the appearance of babies in advance.
1. Preparing the socket. The place for babies should be warm, well-lit, dry, protected from drafts and located in a quiet place where newborns will not be disturbed by people.
2. An ideal choice for the house is a box or box that is suitable in size (the bitch should be able to stretch out, get a job for feeding and relaxing with puppies). At the bottom of the box, place a mattress that is protected from contamination by two pillowcases - the first of water-repellent fabric, and the second of ordinary cotton, calico, calico, etc. Instead of pillowcases, disposable absorbent diapers can also be used. The temperature in the house should be 30 - 32 degrees.
Subcooling or overheating can lead to the death of puppies!
3. Puppies are born deaf, blind and helpless. They cannot walk, nor do they have a developed nervous system and thermoregulation.
4. In the third week, the puppy's auditory canals open. There is no need to control this process. but you can test your hearing by snapping fingers near each ear and observe the puppy’s reaction.
5. The 12th - 15th day of puppies' life is significant because their eyes begin to open. Do not be alarmed: at first they are cloudy and blue - this is normal, on the 17th - 18th week they will begin to darken and become clearer.Eyes may not immediately open completely, in no case help the puppy open them. Your task is to ensure that there are no redness or purulent discharge.
6. At the beginning of the 4th week of life, puppies have teeth
Hygienic care for newborn puppies
After feeding, the bitch always licks the puppy, massaging the perineum and abdomen with the tongue so that the puppy goes to the toilet. Such care for babies is necessary due to the fact that, until a certain age, they do not know how to defecate on their own.
If the bitch refuses to lick the puppies, you should take on the role of mom. Wrap cotton wool soaked in warm water on your finger and massage the anal opening and stomach of the puppy in a circular motion clockwise. When the puppy settles the need, gently wipe it with cotton or gauze soaked in warm water and dry it with a soft towel.
In the third week of life, puppies begin to defecate on their own. During this period, the kids instinctively begin to crawl into the far corner of their house to relieve themselves. The bitch usually cleans them herself, otherwise, you yourself must monitor the cleanliness of the house.
In the early days, watch for the umbilical remainder. Normally, it dries quickly and disappears after a few days. If suddenly a rash, redness, crust appears in the umbilical cord, treat the navel with green.
To protect the bitch, babies need to regularly trim the puppies ’claws, they are sharp and can injure the bitch. You can cut the sharp tip with a nail scissors.
The 8th week of puppies' life is the beginning of the period of socialization.Kids are no longer dependent on their mother, they are already accustomed to solid food, are primarily vaccinated and are ready to move to a new home.